7/14/2011


Indonesia 2009
tropical transformation palm trees deforestation

______________________________________________________
All THIS FOR A KIT-KAT
It may look like caramel to some, but it isn't. We addressed the topic of activism today in class, I was really excited. And still am. It is among my favorite topics, with environment, and both combined are interdependent for me. It is what I also try to teach. Always challenging and fascinating to exchange on topics that are deeply embodied. But I am reflecting on new perspectives that are proposed to us now. More positive messages, forget the -first- era of hard guilt messages. A real issue to think and talk about...And I will come back, but now, bed...

Tomorrow, in class, some role tasks. I will be...a lumberjack fighting against a mayor and his politics! Well forgive me for even daring say that.

Do those word, activism and environment have a meaning for me even more then ever, since we talk, and try to living up to it all the time in this residence. I can't just sit there. (well for another week I will no choice)

This is a 2010 post I gave my students when, in my former life I was a teacher, (here we say instructor). Now I am the student and I love it. I feel privileged to have the time (well...not in a short term perspective, I'm dead tired, but I see it and mean it in the long run, not like the acts that need to be taken..). Protest and Greenpeace campaign, accusing Netslé to contribute to massive tropical forest deforestation in Indonesia, for palm oil, a few years back. Responsible sourcing> in this case, they didn't even seem to know there was such thing it could seem, but they do. I had invite students to boycott the chocolate bar their own coffee shop had. And our coffee shop to cease buying from them. It's might feel ok to have a few Caminos on our shelves, but it isn't enough.

I saw a documentary, on orang-outang in this case. Doing this master's degree or volunteering for a year with orang-outang were both as appealing to me.

In 2008, Greenpeace had protested against Unilever ; in a few weeks, the international group had reacted and announced major changes in their practice towards responsible sourcing (french article).

______________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment