7/03/2012

HOPE IT IS

_______________________________________________________ 
(These paragraphs posts were written before our class discussion. I will insert some reflections from class discussion while citing colleagues throughout.)

«Damned because we risk being ignored by policymakers», «now we are damned because we lack hope (1) » or «Biodiversity conservation is comparable, and we ought not be surprised that the public grows weary of crises reported daily.»

I did not initially think of making this blog feel like reading overviews, I am still –hoping- (which to me is quite different from -hope- itself) sharing random thoughts -no matter how summarized or simple they may be-, but I like being given the opportunity to start from readings, to build our own thinking.  I initially would agree with the authors, that most environmental/protection/climate or social change issues can bring a feeling of despair, and truly felt empathy for the hopeless –battle- they seemed to say they we’re experiencing. I often feel that way myself, even if I have no pretense of saving much if anything, though I wish or -hope- to believe I am always trying hard enough on my miniature scale.  Bill project C-38, Pipelines, non renewable resource use, or Rio+20, as well as too many other demonstrations of our inertia, offer examples of our silence, economical concerns, instead of meaningful actions (motivations, responsibility) in the urgency of our environmental degradation in that sense. It could be there isn’t enough –fear- is felt that Earth is in crisis and Climate change realities have reached a non-adaptive capacity, or that -hope- as lead us to wishful blindness.

Either way, and although neither fear nor hope, or both taking turns, either split or cycling in balance, has another tension (previous course) perhaps as Renee and discussions pondered on, feel are my initial leitmotiv. I feel they are emotions or feelings we experience either for us or for others. a sense of responsibility, care, and empathy. But the senses of care and responsibility that I feel guide me the most, and perhaps help me overcome any personal fears I could experience, and my motivation to share and act in favour of sustainable and engaged living and actions are also nourished by love and empathy I tend to feel which Roberta also brought it up in class very nicely with compassion and love, per example. I find them strong leverages as well. Therefore, I am inclined thinking that other means then hope or happiness (a desire for), can lead to committed action.


Hope or happiness and action
I also feel hope (considered positivism as opposed to activism which is associated to negativism or fear or despair by some? -later-) does not always lead to the needed actions, engagement or reflection. Hope in X, gods, policies, wellbeing, survival, authorities, happiness (faith in) seems it can also lead to a sense of hopeless actions (needless) -there is nothing we can do to change things, fatality, we do not control anything, not nature’s will, she will always adapt-) towards the outcomes of what we are either creating, or denying. Under that lens, it can also send a similar message of –no reason to act-.  I would think it can lead to -apathy-, a term nicely used by Renee Lertzman for her blog. (but since she talks of the myth, I am probably wrongly focused here). We can also hear people say, from some of the –happiness- discourse, that things get better on their own, (systems) balance, readjust eventually, (and perhaps magically). Such strong belief that Earth will always adapt, or that technology (could become a whole other post) brings hope of solutions to itself as been opposed being either myths (Orr) or denial(Climato-Skepticals). Some religious beliefs can also lead people to simply feel hope for a better world after their own death (Jonas), trust other –things- will solve and provide a safe future for Earth (or in an anthropocentric view, for humanity).

This said, arguments to say hope is a factor of change, can also be defended and felt or perhaps demonstrated efficient through deeper research. But so far we have no proofs it works. People are hopeful, seek happiness and still, multiple factors demonstrate not enough is being done policywise and by other means, about such crucial issue aside small scale engagements. As we have discussed in class, the idea that both hope and fear are interconnected, that they can also take the lead each their turn or motivate differently appear truly valuable.

I -hope- no peackock gets hit by a car (make a sign at least. Should add Hunting kills them too.).
(But as Jamie joked around Brad's hunting skills) :
I -fear- Brad with his gun would love to do so :-{.
a. Convince Brad (possible shift?)
b. Steel his gun (short-term)?
c. Legislate...(temporary. disobedeance)


 «Revolutions cannot be won if the fighters know that the fighting will never cease.»
Fatigue and stress certainly can lead to despair, but not necessarily to resignation. The «actual battle and revolution to be won» needing our deep trust or belief that it could be achieved, does find resonance to my ears. But although the –fighters themselves keep believing it is possible and worthwhile, they can also –fear- to some extent, that, in order to do so, they will have to make it a lifetime commitment. Does it make it a solely unhappy scenario when things are not heading the way they should? Eventual faith that actions, support, and involvement will participate in solving an issue can indeed give strength.


But what if you trust the –fighting- (which to some appears as a negative a word) needs to be forever engaged into because their will always be something else to work on and improve? Socially, politically, environmentally? What if it was not a struggle but a meaningful living feeling to be there for who/what needs our support, and now it’s ourselves, our environment, our ecosystems? Can't that also be a life –battle-? Can’t that battle simply be considered a –hope-, an engagement, a –happiness feeling- once more? Not having religious beliefs other then spiritual/environmental trust in regards with our interconnectedness within nature, means our own life, with it's physical end, is all we have to act and engage. Some would feel that is hopeless, if their is no after, no hope, no better. I see it as a strength to live for our ecosystems, future generations, our Earth’s continuity. It doesn’t bring me despair neither a sense of fear of suffering for myself. But suffering to imagine children, future generations, ecosystems, is something that can drive one’s energies to battle. Since life is now, it is now, that I am living my battle to make this as engaged a journey as I can. It probably means there is hope in my mind. I do hope to leave this world leaving as little negative impact as I can, and as much love as I can as well. It isn't resignation. It can also simply be a good feeling (will develop more on this in a catastrophist perspective).


I figured I did not get Sigwood’s intention clearly when cited by Paten & Al, saying «When we create confident expectations for future success, effort will increase» (p. 629). The authors questioning the standards of short-term win over battle, was perhaps perspicacious -I have a  story on friends and my father’s cancer to relate to this- (another day), but I did not read their "future success" as a short-term victory intent. I read it as creating a space for hope, since it could open the road to concrete desire and actions to engage in solving environmental/conservation issues. It therefore felt a little opposite to the initial understanding, I had gathered from their observations that effort would increase.


We disagree on the root problem (no hope) and on the solution (expressing hope), unless the latter is "Hope for the best, but expect the worst."
Fortunately perhaps, there are many other readings beliefs, and worldviews or proposals, which don’t come from policymakers but from engaged citizens, communities, educators, and everyone who truly commit, feeling our interconnectedness, not for our own sake but for the whole’s sake (Capra).  Just as fear and hope are, as Renee, our instructor guided us investigating and seeing.


Mother Theresa and Brad.
As much as I admire the life dedication, vocation, and actions of engaged people like Mother Theresa was and inspired, I have never shared mother Theresa's view on –activism- (which Brad brought up in course and I personally -rebelled- with, since it was proposed in our first course with Lisa :->. It could be considered part of Mother Theresa's personal worldview and values, but my frame, worldview, or values still have me strongly defend the idea that I coherently choose/need to support the absent or silent ones in Anti-war or various matters that would be meaningful to me and in need of mobilisation for ethical/social/political/environmental rights matters, just as well.  I sometimes wonder if it is more of a word association then an ideological truth that can motivate certain claims.That is also when attaching negative values to activism I disagree with or at least find unfair.

_______________________________________________________


_______________________________________________________
FEAR
There is much more I wish to say on the Hope subject, I have another page draft, but I feel reading on fear to be a better idea, before going on. I may only say Weber's (2) proposition that it is not -visceral- among us yet to acknowledge Global warming and to measure (ignore) the risks, and saying «Emotions like fear or worry motivate us to remove ourselves from a dangerous situation or to change the environment in ways that reduce our feeling of being at risk» I read « change the envrionment in ways...) as having a great potential for wanting to act (agency-new word in my vocabulary:-), although «remove ourselves» could be interpreted the other way around as being a victim. The lack of concern which took place in the form of a «dissociationc between the output of the analytic and the affective system » even knowing global warming is a serious concern, felt it echoed how we make unhealthy, unhappy, or unsustainable (hopeless) -choices- in some addicted states (cigarettes/cancer, drugs/dependance, overconsuming wheter food, energies, objects or relationships/in a compulsive mode etc...)

I am also very excited to read in depth and eventually be able to share ideas on Orr's «I know of no good reason for anyone to be optimistic about the human future, but I know a lot of reasons to be hopeful.»
_______________________________________________________
hope
> Swaisgood, Ronald R. & Sheppard, James K. (2010). The Culture of Conservation Biologists: Show me the hope! BioScience, 60(8), 626–630.
> Patten, Michael A. & Smith-Patten, Brenda D. (2011). “As If” Philosophy: Conservation Biology's Real Hope. BioScience, 61(6), 425-426.
> Swaisgood, Ronald R. & Sheppard, James. (2011). Reconnecting People to Nature is a Prerequisite for the Future Conservation: Response from Swaisgood and Sheppard. BioScience, 61(2), 94-95

fear
> O’Neill, S., & Nicholson-Cole, S. (2009). Fear Won’t Do It: Promoting Positive Engagement With Climate Change Through Visual and Iconic Representations. Science Communication, 30(3), 355-379.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment