6/15/2011

DAY 2


___________________________________________________
PRE-RESIDENCY
How have I come to be constructed as an
environmental educator and communicator? *

I am just starting this blog as my course Journal. Although many things happened since I have applied and received the admission letter and very encouraging and stimulating emails from Doctor Richard Kool Head for the MA in environment education and communication, I won't begin with my whole autoethnography, first -homework- for EECO500 class - Developing Environmental Understanding, with instructor/mentor Peta White.
It would bring me too far back in time, in order to succeed and not repeat myself too much between the journal, the presentation, and the paper -prompts- to be done. Luckily for me, autoetnography is the same in French and English, since so far, I have had to look up into some dictionaries a few times, for some words that appeared to be key ones (such as prompts...). Being francophone adds on a little level of difficulty for me. My English vocabulary and knowledge are quite limited in comparison with educated English people. French of course would be so much easier to communicate clearly, but who says easy was more fun? Well, I challenge myself to improve my English, as well, 2 years from now…

I intend to write one post a day, throughout these 25 exciting months I have ahead of me with amazing people
(which would mean 9000 posts!). I am very enthusiastic about the classes and participants, felt a little overwhelmed when I saw what needed to be done in pre-residency, before heading to the class, since the first course was supposed to start on the 20th, and the option to start was offered to us on the 13th. There is so much left for me to do preparing my leave from University, before I can jump into this course completely. I wondered if the 8 to 20 hours work a week suggested were going to be realistically sufficient in order for me to succeed this fascinating Master course...

Monday, I started the Orientation to Online Learning at RRU (Royal Roads University). Viewing all the training materials available, from welcome to latest news, online learning, navigation, assignment, forum, elluminate, profile, book, poll, glossary, wiki, blog, other learning and feedback sections, was supposed to take between 30 minutes to 3 hours, depending on our technical skills. Well I feel very at ease with a computer, I use it all day long and I am familiar with many software being a designer, but it almost took me the whole day to read everything, and watch every video offered…Well, I did feel like I was a serious student in the end
:-) and that I had a lot to learn ahead of me.

* This title is key to this course. It is the reflection we will be having and that we will try to share answer
___________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment