7/05/2014

MAEEC 680

_______________________________________________________ 

View where I am sitting, writing at the moment. It is still cold up here this week. Last week was warm. This is only the 4th or 5th butterfly I see. Not a Monarque unfortunately, in decline as we know, this one looks like an eastern Comma, but I am really not sure. Could be a Vice-roi or a -faux Monarque, but not as defined... In any case, will just take a break to help him/her out the screen porch.

MAEEC EECO 680 is under way starting July 7th, and so is summer residency on august 4th.
Here I am, a year behind most of my 2011 cohort pals, and still feeling I have quite a long way to go.
I know Liz and Jen, -former teammates and 2011 colleagues- will join residency at the same time I will. Although I feel I still need ALL the time I can get, to write, I will be very happy to meet our new summer residency course mates and instructors, and to reconnect with previous friends, instructors, trees, peacocks, dears and racoons as well :-)

Since Peter Norman and Robert Pidgeon, our instructors for this last stretch of MAEEC specify : « this is not intended to be a time intensive effort.  The intent is to begin reconnecting and preparing to get the most of the residency. » I will take their word on it !  Hoping to take the month of July, which is my month off from teaching and related University program activities, as prolific as I can, in order to get last chapters of my thesis further done with.

After what was a little bit of a demanding process, I can add I was given the opportunity to do my thesis en français -in French-, my mother tongue, which will also mean translating everything to English will be a little time consuming, here as well. So I might stick to the very basics, in order to reach my goal of getting the thesis as far as I can, before my new university tasks arrive mid-August. Doing as much as you can and making priorities, is something you also learn during thesis writing. I am not always great at respecting my personal deadlines, since priorities do change. A family of five, and friends my age having great life/health difficulties have taken me out of my thesis responsibility path. I sometimes feel overwhelmed, but I know thesis must wait, when people can't.

So my thesis is coming along verrrry slowly, and my supervisor Lucie is among the most patient women I know :-) aside being a sweet sensitive brilliant being everyone at RRU would love I am sure. I am writing chapter IV at the moment, which I can see « avec du recul » (with some prospective reading of the situation? hmmmm sound complicated -verify on translate quickly..- google prefers -with some hindsight- I would have spontaneously written insight no H, no D...which is also a reason why French sounded like a better idea ) that it would have been useful to have chapter 4 on its way, right form the start, except I had no interviews yet. On the other hand, preparing sensitive and meaningful questions before starting the interviews also meant having chapters one and two on their way as much as possible to make some sense of this threading puzzle of subject, questions, hypothesis and methodology, for which I had and still lack clear knowledge on various levels. Learning to figure some things out through readings has been an ongoing process...

So this was intended to reconnect, brake the ice of 680, and make sure I can access my former blog as a starter. Back with a post as course starts.
_______________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment