7/21/2012

FAREWELL...is hard to say.

_____________________________________________________
____________________________________________________

WHALE WHALE, WHAT HAVE WE DONE...
l was going to continue writing about art-based communications, and connecting it with Renee's interview of David Buckland's and his cape Farewell project, really trusting these type of communications are deeply needed, when I received another care2 petition email - whale killing in South Korea for this one-, except, this one, today, was just too much. The picture of that beautiful slaughtered mammal because the SK government gave permission to kill considering they eat -all the fish- on their end of the ecosystem spectrum- was too much.  I burst into tears.

«South Korean fishermen have complained that whales are eating all of their fish. Now, the government has applied to the International Whaling Commission for permission to begin killing whales - supposedly to research whether the whales are, indeed, fulfilling their end of the food chain.»

I sincerely thought to myself that minute -we are in a -fkg- war-. I know it is not very constructive to think, to say, to feel. I even thought about in English (the petition being in English could explain it) since the F word is not what would have come naturally.  I swear in French as I said when I joined the MAENVEDCO.  The war to whom gets to have the food.  I was plunged into «La route», «the Road», Cormac McCarthy's beautiful, powerful writing.  Totally art-based, a novel which could be seen as a metaphor to our environmental crisis reality. A novel offering an extra proposal to answer McKibben's post asking «where is the Art»?

I again wondered when would the awakening occur... never I think.  History of humanity seems we did not learn enough through centuries to overcome our greed. We sort of erase as we go, like on a computer Control-delete.  Art, communication, love, name them all, so many before us have tried all of these options, we just don't get it. We have never collectively reached any sort of wisdom as a species, we fight our gods, our truth of nature, our access to land, our greed to food, our disrespect of others, we consider ourselves above it all... and we will stupidly extinct form lack of love.  We oly deserve it. Well, some more then others I also think, but being part of it all, we are all responsible. I mourn for those who will never be allowed the world we were had. But human was not ready to live in harmony with other species, non-human beings, with himself.  Even so, I won't ever let go. I hope to evolve constantly, and fight my own contradictions and behaviors until I die. I want to plunge myself to this mystery fully, for a future whatever that means. Besides my personal citizen social political environmental agenda, communication and education are one way to do so I suppose. But is it ever enough. I stopped crying for the whales (or for myself) and took that once more given awareness energy, to do something with it.

I started my little personal brainstormings.
Raising awareness, not the sea level. Hmm.. a poster?
Pressuring politics, not nature.  And I went on to deal with the loss...

I will come back to Renee's interview. In the meantime I will share a few Art-Based images I have in some prentations. I feel worn out, for nature. Incapable of doing or saying more for now.

______________________________________________________


LIVING GRAFFITI
Their is the reverse graffiti mais but the living one as well.
Edina Tokodi is a Hungarian Graphic designer who also received an urban design base in Milano. Her green moss -guerilla- reminds the urban dweller that nature is not so far, while stepping outside, away from Gallery art. She sees herself as a “cultivator of eco-urban sensitivity». Her work can be seen in Brooklyn among other places.
Others also use Lichen like Anna Garforth and Eleanor Stevens. (see November 2008 post )
much more here
______________________________________________________


Alexander Orion in Sao Paulo

REVERSE-GRAFITI. CLEAN.
In  Montreal, we have our own «Banksy» through Roadsworth. But Reverse-graffiti adds another dimension to engaged grafitti art. Some sort of Eco-art. No spraying, just cleaning, with soap and water.  Reverse, clean the pollution.  Paul Curtis (Moose) is a London pioneer in that sense. Just as Brazil Alexandre Orion, is in Sao Paulo. As they say, they disturb authorities who wonder how to condemn their art since cleaning is not YET a crime... The urban world, the city, as a creative canevas. Paul Curtis also does commercial work through, Symbollix, (for clients likeMicrosoft.)
link on  youtube.

English article.
more>
______________________________________________________
CENSORSHIP,  FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

IN THE FLAG EXERCISE


China flag / Internet censorship / Maxime Brunelle


Blood diamonds / Liberia / Alex Blouin


Canada flag /  GHG / Émilie Bertrand


Lybien flag  / amputation torture / Claire Burelli
______________________________________________________
Some of my students work.








No comments:

Post a Comment