6/19/2011

DAY 6


photo : Lyne Lefebvre / Dunham cemetery, 2010, Qc ______________________________________________
TODAY WAS FATHER'S DAY
I did plunge in my reflections today, but much later in the afternoon. Family does remain an important aspect of sustainable living! Our kids, although 2 are away, both found a personal way to manifest their love from far, and we had a lovely brunch with Julia, the oldest. She lives a few streets away, so we see each other often. And she has her weekly dad lunches already. Charlie invited his dad to a film tomorrow, since he was in the country for the weekend. They often share cinema moments, almost weekly when I teach weeknights. Charlie studies in cinema. Jeremie had chosen a novel for Andre to read in her absence to Asia. She gave it to him at the airport, with a little love note. They often share tastes on authors and exchange books. Finally, everything was like usual, except it was father's day. As for my presence to that amazing kid's father, I waited a little longer then I would have, before getting on my computer since we have a lot of work :-)

Like many, and like us, our kids show love all year long, so it’s not as if we make a big deal with father’s day, particularly since it isn't the same date in France as it is here. We wouldn't even bother to remember really did we not read it somewhere in a paper, but they do. It also gave us a short debate subject, questioning how publicity was even worst on mother’s day.
But culturally, it is so present, spending a little time together that day also, remembering it is a precise event, is something our kids could not even think of skipping.

I spent 3 hours looking for information on how to build the document properly...I am like that I suppose. Instead of writing away, I like to know the form it needs to have, font size, heading, bold or light, probably a designer's bad habit, helps me start somewhere, knowing where I am going to, at least form wise, to then, start thinking about the content, the conception, leave the brain free of such practical details and let the ideas settle in. Does it need to be a poster or is more relevant to see it as a book is often a good way for a designer to start thinking, brainstorming, putting ideas freely on paper. But the other way around works also, so instead of frustration and wasting more time, I forgot about the form and started putting ideas on paper. Second gap, In French… For my comprehension of an autoethnography, it made sense that it would come out easier. I’ll think of translating everything later, but starting a canvas today seemed important for me. Psychologically, time wise, in order to sleep better? Knowing I have started something has me know for sure I will finish it. Otherwise I could be tempted by procrastination.
I thought, why do I need to know how the word document needs to be presented? Who cares? But my answer is already filling my head with comparisons that would take pages...

More introspectively though, My father being no longer here, writing my own little learning from the
past seemed to be a way to be with him, with his memory today. He is completely linked to my autoethnography after all. There goes another personal journal style post...Maybe I should start reflecting on class issues a little more...
______________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. hey Lyne,
    I just wanted to say HI - and to show that I have checked out your blog... WOW - nicely done!! I wont read this regularly (I think the thought of being read can sometimes/some how sensor what you want to really say), but I think you have done a great job. This is beautiful, personal, and I hope it forms a really useful part of what your studies will do for you!!
    Looking forward to working with you
    Cheers
    peta

    ps: you remind me that I need to update my website - smile!!

    ReplyDelete